Grassroots Development and Empowerment, Ebonyi State, Nigeria
GRADE Executive Director, Patrick O. Amah (center) with MRI directors James Arana (left) and Steven Botkin (right).
GRADE FOUNDATION: Grassroots Development and Empowerment
10, Mbukobe Street, Ntezi Aba (Mile 50)
Abakaliki, Ebonyi State, Nigeria
Executive Director: Patrick O. Amah
Click here for photos and description of recent Rural Development Project.
Mission: To promote social development, poverty alleviation, democracy and good governance for the empowerment of individuals and communities.
Vision: To create a safe, healthy and productive rural society through prudent utilization of life support resources.
Motto:“Reaching the Unreached”
Values: Integrity, Accountability and Transparency.
GRADE Foundation recognizes the trust of our donors, partners and the public by striving to maintain the highest standards of accountability, integrity and transparency in the conduct of all its activities.
- To develop Young People, Women and Children and to empower and make them confident contributors to community development.
- To undertake advocacy on behalf of Young People, Women and Children’s Rights and education, including Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) in the rural communities.
- To reduce Gender Based Violence and promote gender equality issues including the participation of women in decision-making and governance.
- To carry out intensive and extensive canvassing, through literature (handbills) in remote, rural areas and to establish awareness centers in local Churches.
- To form and mentor community Based Organizations (CBOs) where GRADE Foundation’s activities may be made easily available to local rural women, young people and children and to involve them in the planning and implementation of all programs and projects.
- To network with groups of similar mind within and outside the country to help build leadership qualities in women, young people and children.
This charitable, non-governmental, non-political and nonprofit organization was formed in response to the urgent need to close a gap in the development, education and empowerment of Women and Young People in the underserved rural communities.
Having worked with poor women and young people in the rural communities of Ebonyi State and other rural communities in Nigeria since 2003, our founding members understand that Poverty, Harmful Traditional Practices, Gender Based Violence, Ignorance and Superstition continue to thrive in rural communities, thwarting development and empowerment efforts in these regions. These ever present conditions and practices are both a cause of and an effect of the subordinate position of women economically, socially and politically.
The GRADE Foundation was established to help disempowered rural women and youth gain the capacity to advocate for their own development through relevant information dissemination and evidence-based advocacy skills.
The few development workers (NGOs) who carry out activities in rural areas generally bring their activities/messages/trainings from the cities for a set amount of time and then promptly return to the cities immediately after the program is over. Most of these NGOs never go back to monitor impact, let alone evaluate and ensure sustainability of the programs. Without subsequent visits, monitoring and evaluation, the target group quickly reverts to their familiar way of life and the objectives of the initiative die without achieving its purpose.
Grassroots Development and Empowerment (GRADE) Foundation researches women and young people’s activities in the typical African village settings, fully involves them in planning and implementation, and empowers them to become self reliant, active partners in Community Development. We inform, consult, involve and collaborate with our target groups in each rural community in order to make them owners of any program or project we carry out for their benefit. We help form and mentor Community Based Organizations (CBOs) in each community we work with and transfer authority to them after completion to encourage sustainability.